Council Debate Claremont Bike Track, Approve $200,000 for Detailed Design
By Joey Coleman // @JoeyColeman
Published: Nov 25 2016 (6 months ago) // Last Updated: Nov 25 2016 (6 months ago)
2.5 hours of debate, in all of its "glory", as City Council unanimously approves $200,000 for detailed design of Claremont Access.
- the usual Council debate on anything bike related:
- are bicyclists paying their fair share?
- Should bicyclists be licensed
- there are so few bicyclists, should we be spending money on this?
- a swing at social media
- questions about Jay Keddy - the cyclist killed on the Claremont in December 2015 - and if he or weather were at fault for his death. (The driver was charged)
If you've endured a previous Council debate on anything cycling-related, you've seen this sequel.
In the end, the $200,000 is to be split:
- 50% from the Red Light Camera fees reserve
- 50% from Area Rating Funds to be negotiated between the Wards 2, 3, 7, & 8 Councillors